The Green Bin Acceptance List
This list displays what can and what cannot go into your green bin:
Material that CAN go in green bin
Material that CANNOT go in green bin
Soft Plastics now accepted in your recycle bin
A soft plastic is any type of plastic that you can scrunch in your hand.
This item is categorised as a soft plastic and can be placed in your recycle bin.
Plastic items placed in your recycling bin need to be clean, dry and loose. This means there should be no food or liquids left on/in your plastic items, and you should place all the items loosely in the bin and not in plastic bags or stuffed into other materials such as boxes.
If you are unable to ensure this then the item should be placed in your general waste bin
Soft plastics are now accepted in the recycling bin due to advancements in technologies at recycling facilities in Ireland and access to new markets where this material can be processed.
General Comment / Tip
All of your soft plastics can go in the recycle bin, if the plastic types are currently recyclable and we have access to markets they will be sent to specialised, polymer specific recycling facilities. If they are not currently recyclable they will be sent for energy recovery through Solid Residual Fuel (SRF) production for cement plants.
Recycle Bin Helpful Hints:
- Rinse all food & drink containers
- Squash cans, boxes & cartons
- Remove glossy magazine covers
- Remove plastics & polystyrene from cardboard
- Remove Aluminium lids & Plastic Caps from containers and place in the recycling bin separately
- Larger pieces of cardboard can be flattened, tied and left on the side
The Brown Bin Acceptance List
This list displays what can and what cannot go into your brown bin:
Material that CAN go in brown bin
Material that CANNOT go in brown bin
*** Only Bio-degradable bags can be used in your Brown Compost Bin ***
Compost Bin Helpful Hints:
- Keep your compost bin in the shade
- Wrap food waste in sheets of old newspaper to deter flies and control odours
- Items such as leaves, straw, woody material (chipped) or dry grass help prevent odours